April 25, 2009

Random First Thoughts About Seattle

Here's a short list of my random first thoughts about Seattle...

- Dogs. Everyone, I mean, practically EVERYONE has a dog. And the owners all have to carry around to a bag to pick up its...well, you know. I don't think I could do it. I think its the temperature that would get to me. AND they even take them to the mall. I was at the mall the other day, having coffee with a friend when I saw a lady pushing a cart with a weiner dog where a child would sit. It's actually pretty ridiculous, but entertaining at the same time.

- I know I live in a city now, but holy houses, cars, and people!!! I went running the other day and the neighborhoods just went forever and ever. It was crazy! I guess its much different from running the country roads of Parma. A good different though. Here I can run 20 blocks and see the water! And everything is in bloom here so I can smell the trees and flowers when I run.
A-mazing! (The hills suck though.)

- Parallel and back-in diaganol parking. Both things I haven't had to do much of before in my life. I'm learning and improving!

- Diversity. I love it! Parma/Spring Arbor obviously aren't the most diverse communities so just seeing and interacting with people different than me is refreshing. I could choose almost any type of food and find a restaurant in a somewhat close distance.

- Weather. It has been rather beautiful here thus far. I am thankful for that! I think it helps with the transition.

- Staying up late. Wow, I think I have stayed up until at least midnight every night since I've been here (well, not the night before my first day of work, i think i was in bed at 11:30 then). At home, I went to bed around 10:30. Definitely a lifestyle change, but am enjoying it! I'm still young, right?

- I get excited about Michigan. We went to a concert the other night and one of the acts said they were from Michigan. I got excited! Then, we saw a guy wearing a Detroit Tigers hat at Trader Joe's and I was excited. Kind of weird, but guess its just a little taste of home.

- I've realized that in Parma/Jackson I think I forget about God's creation and his ability to create all that is around us, but here each day when I see the mountains or the water, I am reminded of God's creativity and how big He is truly is. I am very thankful for that reminder. I wish I could remember that at home too. I hope that I don't ever get used to the mountains and ocean and forget about who created them.

All in all, my observations and thoughts have been positive. I am so thankful and feel blessed that living here is part of my journey and part of this season of life. God is truly faithful!

3 comments:

  1. Here's what I'm thinking...you need to get your own dog. Em. I'm serious. I can find you the cutest little dog ever who would love to join you on your runs! Let me know. ;)

    Glad the transition has been going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Emily, we just posted a comment and it came under JWShaw. Don't know why. We'll try it again. It's from G&C Shaw! We loved your random thoughts! We could picture it all! I have to pretend the clouds on the horizon in MI are really WA mountains. Then bummer, they're not....
    Get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete