April 2, 2009

Third Time is a Charm

Phew! I never thought choosing a title for a blog would be such the dilemma. This is the third title that I have had for this blog. First, it started out as "Endless Possibilites." I planned on focusing on the possibilites, opportunities, and choices in life, that we can do anything, go anywhere, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I still believe this to be true, but wanted it to be more lighthearted. Then, I changed the title to "I am Hysterical" which is a phrase that comes from my mom, but although my mom and i think each other are hysterically funny, it was coming across too egocentric. So i thought of this title as I was falling alseep the other night. My friend, Carrie, introduced me to this prayer by Henri Nouwen, when I was going through a hard time.

"Dear Lord,

Today I thought of the words of Vincent Van Gogh: ‘It is true there is an ebb and flow, but the sea remains the sea.’ You are the sea. Although I experience many ups and downs in my emotions and often feel great shift in changes in my inner life, you remain the same. Your sameness is not the sameness of a rock, but the sameness of a faithful lover. Out of your love I came to life; by your love I am sustained and to your love I am always called back. There are days of sadness and joy; there are feelings of guilt and feelings of gratitude; there are moments of failure and moments of success; but all of them are embraced by your unfailing love.
My temptation is to doubt your love, to think of myself beyond the reach of your love, to remove myself from the healing radiance of your love. To do these things is to move into darkness of despair.


O Lord, sea of love and goodness, let me not fear too much the storms and winds of my daily life, and let me know that there is an ebb and flow, but that the sea remains the sea.” - Henri Nouwen


I have some big changes/transitions (more about this soon) coming up in my life and it is just a great reminder that no matter what happens, good or not-so-good, God remains the same and for that I am so thankful! Hopefully this blog will give you a little insight into my life, thoughts, and feelings through each "ebb and flow" of my life. Thanks for joining me on this journey!

1 comment: