May 21, 2009

Long Overdue Update

So, I knew it had been a little while since I have written a blog, but I just checked- almost one month has gone by. Yikes! I feel like that is how the last few months have gone – on one hand so much has happened that time feels like its ticking slowly along, but then on the other hand, it feels like it was just February. So, in attempt to update you few faithful blog readers that have been disappointed in my blogging, I am going to give you bulleted highlights:
Housing: I moved into my house about one week after I got here. It has been an amazing blessing! I live with three other girls – Becca (nurse), Aimee (preschool teacher), and Megan (grad student). I didn’t know any of them before I moved in, but Jake knew of Becca from college. It has turned out wonderfully! I have my own, very large room in the basement and share a bathroom with Megan. Its only 1.5 miles from my work and is in a very nice neighborhood. I couldn’t have asked for it to be any better. I am still working on getting all my bedroom accessories together so as soon as I do, I will post some pics. Only downfall of the room, is its REALLY cold. I slept in my sleeping bag under my covers until I recently got a down comforter. Also, there’s these little roundish bugs that just show up dead on my carpet – I have yet to see a live one, but the World Race and the country have prepared me well!
Work: Work is going well. I currently have 12 families that I am working with. By the end of the summer, I will have 15 families. 8 of my 12 families have a head of household that is a veteran. It’s interesting because the issues are different from the clients I worked with families in Michigan, but its good and its challenging. I like learning how to handle new situations. I almost have my office arranged how I like it too. I will post new pics of that soon as well. The only downfall at work is that I work by myself so when I have a lull in my work, I don’t have anyone to talk to. So, I think I am going to feel bad for those who hang out with me after work, when I haven’t talked with people (except for my clients) all day. I do have some extrovert in me. ;)

Church: I am attending Quest Church. I have only been able to go twice so far as I have been gone the other weekend, but am very excited to be a part of this church. You can check it out at http://www.seattlequest.org/

Jake: Things continue to go well in that area. We have been able to spend a lot of time together, which has been nice. Living a few miles away vs. states away helps with that. We have been able to do lots of fun stuff and have lots more planned!
Friends: I’m working on it. It takes awhile to create some good friendships. I plan to be more intentional at the beginning of June when I am around more. We’ll see how that goes.

Miscellaneous:
- I am doing well at re-adjusting to doing my own laundry, cooking, buying groceries,
cleaning, etc. My food lasts a lot longer when I am the one that pays for it. I made these
Chicken Crescent Pouches one night for dinner. I got the recipe off of Sara Luke's blog
www.lukecommasara.blogspot.com They were SO easy and delicious!


- I went to Cannon Beach in Oregon last weekend for my friend Candice’s bachelorette
party. It was absolutely gorgeous and very fun! Here's a picture of the sunset and us!



- I must be addicted to road trips. 33 hour trip from MI to Seattle, 4 hour trip one way to
Cannon Beach. 10.5 hour trip one way to Idaho this weekend. Jake is in a wedding
there. It should be a good time! And after doing 33 hours, 10.5 hours is nothing! FYI,
my car is named Vinny.

- I’ve made my schedule at work so that I get done at noon every Friday. Two Fridays ago, Jake
and I went hiking at Mount Si. It was a four mile hike to the top. It was really cold when
we got up there, there was even snow still left. And the clouds came in so we couldn’t
even see the good view, but it was fun and good exercise! The pic is of us at the top of
the hike. As you can tell, we couldn't see anything, because we were on the edge of a
rock.

- I got my Washington State Driver’s License on Friday. I just received it in the mail today. It’s
kind of weird not having a MI license, but don’t worryI still know where I’m from!

- I haven’t shed a tear since before leaving MI. I think it’s a good thing though, just that I am
content with how things are going.

I feel like so much more has gone on and more things have happened, but can’t remember right now. I guess I should blog more, huh? Anyways, I am enjoying Seattle and the change in my life! It was very much needed and has worked out wonderfully so far! Hopefully, I can write a blog sometime with some heart felt emotion vs. just an information update. Thanks for the many notes, cards, money, encouragement that many of you have sent me. I feel very blessed!

4 comments:

  1. as your faithful blog reader I am so glad for the happy update. Sounds amazing Em. We are so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so beautiful....I know I've talked on the phone every day but just seeing a recent picture of you is so nice....I miss seeing your beautiful face (you won't be surprised that seeing your picture made me tear up).....and you and Jake are the cutest couple! Praising the Lord that you are happy, content, safe and loving the Lord with all your heart.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from you! I've been checking in on your blog to see how you are! I'm so glad that things are going so well! I've been thinking about you!

    I once lived in a basement too!! :) I hope the people you are living with are as wonderful as the people that I lived with! Love you, Wen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your updates, Em!

    ReplyDelete