June 9, 2009

Comfort

I know that moving to a new place, making friends (well, good friends at least) would take a little while with some intentionality. I feel like I've met a lot of people and some that I think would make good friends. I haven't felt lonely at all, but I think again and again I am realizing there is a comfort that you have with people when you share a deep experience. Two weekends ago, I was in one of my best friends from the World Race, Candice's, wedding. Kari, Bri, Morgan, Eric, and Jon, who were also World Racers, came to the wedding as well. Jake and I had the opportunity to hang out with Morgan, Jon, and Eric after the wedding.






It was so good for my soul. I didn't even realize that my soul needed it. For the past seven weeks I have been meeting new people. So, its been a lot of explaining my story of getting here and finding out what people do, where they live, who they know, etc. Surfacy stuff. Don't get me wrong, it has been great to meet so many wonderful people but it was just a nice break to sit for awhile and be with people that KNOW me, even though the time period they've known me is so short. It was refreshing and comforting not to think about what to try to add to the conversation or wondering what these new people I am meeting are thinking, but just to BE and to be known and understood. It was comforting that they know a part of my story, a part of who I am.

I hope this doesn't come across as me being sad or lonely because that is not at all the case. I am very happy, not lonely, still loving my time in Seattle, and am continually thankful for this new opportunity/adventure of living here! I know that good friends will come, but until then I will take these little glimpses of comfort when I can. My mom is coming tomorrow to visit for one week so that will tide me over for awhile! She knows me pretty well ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment