January 7, 2009

Humility

I play volleyball every Tuesday night with people of all ages at my church. I HATE "backyard" volleyball, but this is decent volleyball. I played volleyball in high school and my freshman year of college at Bethel College in Indiana. Since then, I'd say some of my skills have improved (serves and pancakes) and some have decreased (vertical jump and quickness). I try to block often but rarely do I touch anything and even if my pinky finger touches the ball, I am excited and usually everyone knows. Last night, I was playing against a guy who hadn't been there before. He appeared intense and hard core. He was hitting from the outside and I went up for the block...and BAM! I blocked him all by myself! I don't know what came over me, but I was so excited that I began jumping up and down and high-fiving my teammates...until I looked back through the net and he was just looking at me. I am pretty sure he did not think it was as awesome as I thought it was. I slowly stopped by demonstration of excitement, walked over with my hand down, reached out to shake his hand, and apologized, "Sorry, that just doesn't happen to me very often." I guess I have to remember that it's not all about me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment